Anja Hessler (b. 1974) is a German/British artist and designer who is based in Ramsgate, UK. She creates one-of-a-kind moving sculptures from precious metals, copper, steel, aluminium, acrylic and wood.
Minimalism and Design as Art plays a dominant role in her artistic practice. She draws her inspiration from the Modernism movement and in particular the Bauhaus aesthetic and its focus on form and function. Her work explores materials, shape, textures, balance, light and movement in space.
While studying to become a display artist she was introduced to a wide variety of crafts and design skills, working on theatrical stage based arrangements with a focus on forms in space and how to engage the viewer.
• ART Innsbruck 2021, Austria, represented by Van Gogh Art Gallery Madrid
• FLUX Exhibition 2021, Greenwich Design District, London, UK
• Collective Art Show, Van Gogh Art Gallery 2021, Madrid, Spain
• The Holy Art ‘Façade’ Group Exhibition 2021, London, UK
• The Flux Review V1 Exhibition 2021, Online
• VR Exhibition “The Viewing Room ft. Outpost Gallery Norwich” 2021, Online
• The Cosmic Sublime, Lumen Artist Collective, 2019, Pie Factory Margate, UK
• ‘Constellation’ 2021 at TMS, Gallery Space, Margate, UK
Projects / Collaborations:
• Artemix ‘Chain Project’ 2021, UK
• Art Reveal Magazine no.60, July 2021, ISBN: 9781006667466
I create one-of-a-kind moving sculptures from precious metals, copper, steel, aluminium, acrylic and wood. My work explores materials, shape, textures, balance, light and movement in space. I use traditional techniques to manipulate each element to bring out traces of degradation and humidity. Objects are fused onto carefully crafted rods balancing through space and time, interconnecting present and memory. My recent work focuses on opposites; combining the simplicity and precise nature of geometric forms with organic textures allowing nature to take control over time.